Hello old friends, new followers, and fellow bloggers-
I usually refrain from speaking about this part of my life, well… in part because it is not full of rainbows and sunshine. Sometimes, well… the majority of the time, it’s filled with the complete opposite. I think I’ve cried more in the last three years than I have my entire life. Like, many of you may read this and be like,” Wow sis, you’re super dramatic!” But if some of you lived a day in my colleagues’ lives, you would lose it. I mean you would probably think you’re borderline insane. Studies show that law students/lawyers experience 30% more depression than the average citizen, 45% more anxiety, and 40% more issues with substance abuse. But, what we do isn’t all bad: we argue for clients to gain a just result! However, sometimes we make arguments and we lose, our clients don’t get what’s just and is robbed by a flawed system. If I could gather my colleagues together, I believe we would settle on the following confessions. So please fancy us and enjoy twenty confessions from a law student/lawyer:
- I never have time, I make time. So please don’t waste the time I give you.
- If I knew what the case was trying to say, I wouldn’t be struggling to answer this question right now Professor.
- If you ask me what I am doing, odds are I’m working. Like legitly, I work a lot.
- Everyone cannot be a lawyer. If that was true then my three years of suffering, hundreds of debt in student loans, ten weeks of bar prep, $10, 000 of bar prep funds and my sanity means nothing to society. Never say that it’s easy to be a lawyer and that everyone can be a lawyer. Those words are disrespectful…
- My life is planned, my days are scheduled. You being mad because I cannot attend your last minute function, doesn’t diminish my to-do list.
- Sometimes, I want to escape my life. Like how dope would it be to go to another country, change my identity and like never come back.
- My phone will ring at the most inopportune times. At dinner, while I’m in the shower when I’m watching a movie. My phone will ring and it will be about something that really isn’t as important as it seems.
- Law & Order, HTGAWM, and The Bar is not real life. Please stop trying to convince me that you know the law from your knowledge of legal dramas.
- Only 33% of the population has the knowledge I have, this means Law School must be hella hard.
- I work for a client. That person is my priority and sometimes they run all the way out!
- No, I cannot give you legal advice for free.
- If I have to do my job, my legal secretary’s job and act as my own paralegal, I should receive the pay for all three of those salaries.
- I want to work out but I’m so tired.
- I’m taught to conceal my weaknesses, to only show my strengths but this hinders me from being vulnerable in my relationships. Why do you think a majority of us are still single?
- I keep people’s secrets for a living, yet it’s rare that someone keeps mine.
- A glass of wine every once in a while was great. But, now Thursday Happy Hours is the only way I’m getting by.
- I see sad things all the time. I think I’ve lost my sense of connection to the world. A murder is no longer a senseless shameful act but an aggravated crime dependent on mens rea. If there is no intent to kill or to cause gross bodily harm or injury, or even just a reckless disregard for behavior resulting in the loss of life or harm, that’s not murder- that’s a lesser offense.
- I wouldn’t wish the type of stress I feel on anyone, not even my worst enemy.
- It’s easy to say everything is going to be okay, especially when you don’t have one test determining your semester grade.
- Every day I wake up and wonder if I am making the biggest mistake of my life. Every. single. day.
Bonus: You don’t understand and frankly, I hope you never do.